The “Innovation Zone” is a place for the Ozaukee County 4-H community to shares ideas and resources enabling us to stay connected during the COVID-19 situation. We are sharing different insights and perspectives on how we are working to hold club and project meetings. Our goal is to connect ideas with the 4-H community members bringing innovations to life.
Virtual Tour of NEW Meat Science Building at UW-Madison: December 3, 2020
Wisconsin 4-H Horse Leaders Conference: December 5, 2020
Workshops will be offered throughout the virtual conference by invited instructors and speakers including 4-H youth and adult volunteers. These topics are a mix of horse, youth and leadership related topics. Participants will also benefit from talking with leaders from across the state to gain new ideas and insights into the 4-H Horse Program.
Workshops will include:
Hippology, Horse Judging, UW-River Falls Equine Program Virtual Tour, Equine Nutrition, Horse Quiz Bowl Intro, Drill Team, Horse Project Policy, STEAM Horse Portrait Art, Tales of a working student, Horseless Horse Project, Art of the Horseman, 4-H Movement Rollout, and more!
More Information: http://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/…/wi-4-h-horse-leaders…/
Dig into 4-H fun Hands-on Learning to do at Home
Follow this link to find activities https://4h.extension.wisc.edu/home-activities/
Resources for Taking Your Club Online
Hold a virtual officer meeting (or complete the paperwork to have an in-person officer meeting contact email@example.com for the form). Ask each officer to choose one or two of these to research and facilitate at a virtual meeting this fall.
Video Meeting Options:
- Zoom Basic – Free – Meetings for a limited number of participants for up to 40 minutes.
- Zoom Pro – $14.99 per month – Up to 100 participants per meeting. No time limit. (Zoom is available Free for educational use – https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/03/13/how-to-use-zoom-for-online-learning/.
- Google Meet – Free – Restrictions vary based on whether they are using Google Suite or regular Gmail as a host account https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/g-suite/helping-businesses-and-schools-stay-connected-in-response-to-coronavirus.
- Cisco WebEx – Free during the Pandemic – https://help.webex.com/en-us/n80v1rcb/Cisco-Webex-Available-Free-in-These-Countries-COVID-19-Response.
- Microsoft Teams – Microsoft has tools within their MS Teams platform, both for paid and free users available as part of their response to the pandemic – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/03/05/our-commitment-to-customers-during-covid-19/
Great Websites and Aps for Virtual Club Meetings
- Kahoot (game-based learning platform): https://kahoot.com/
- Quizlet (flash card and quiz based platform): https://quizlet.com/
- Protobowl (real time multi-player quizbowl): https://protobowl.com/
- Factile (customizeable jeopardy style game): https://www.playfactile.com/
- Jeopardy Labs (customizeable jeopardy): https://jeopardylabs.com/
- Philogus (customizeable online games): https://www.philologus.co.uk/index.php
- Baamboozle (online game maker): https://www.baamboozle.com/
4-H Skill Builders
- 4-H Flash Cards: https://quizlet.com/subject/4%252DH/
- Alaska 4-H At Home Series: http://www.alaska4h.org/learn-by-doing-at-home/shine-bright-forspring?fbclid=IwAR1ObXAMQWN03p92WjS35MjKfyNqBfNiT6yHNEXqkfGuzndYvpBPCpH6P-U
- Discover 4-H Curriculum: https://utah4h.org/discover/
- Gardening: http://peoplesgarden.wsu.edu/toolkit/toolkit-resources/
- Grab & Go Creative Arts: https://4hartshowcase.wordpress.com/category/lessons/
A Few More Fun Ideas
- Photo Scavenger Hunt: https://www.goosechase.com/
- Comprehensive list of resources and activities: https://extension.wsu.edu/king/4-h/learning-links-4-h-andmore/
- Inspire Kids To Do Activity Guide: https://4-h.org/about/inspire-kids-to-do/
- Virtual Presentations & Demonstrations
Community Service Ideas
- Independent Community Service Projects
- Letter Writing (to nursing homes, doctor, grocery store…)
- Cloth Face Coverings: https://4h.extension.wisc.edu/cloth-face-coverings/
- Nursing Home/Assisted Living Facility Pen Pal Program
- Musical Performances (Backyard Social Distancing Concerts or Virtually)
- Neighborhood Beautification
- Box of Sunshine (The sun has physically been “shining” a lot this summer and yet many people are struggling. To show someone you are thinking of them and to brighten their day, why not consider making and giving out a Box of Sunshine?! All you need to get started is a shoe box or other small box!! Wrap and decorate it in yellow and then search for “bright” items to add to the box.
- Lemon Drops
- Zone Bars
- Yellow Gummy Bears
- Crunch N Munch
- Lemon Scented Hand Soap or Hand Sanitizer
- Cascade Ice Drink
- Lemon Cake Mix
- Melt Em’s
You might also want to check out a dollar store and find some other great fun yellow/bright things that will help spread some sunshine and light. Then…think of someone you know who needs cheering up and drop off your Box of Sunshine!
- Community Art and sewing Projects
- The Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts wants your help creating The Quarantine Quilt. The museum launched a collaborative art project to give everyone a chance to stay home, stay safe, and keep creating. Visit https://www.wiquiltmuseum.com/the-quarantine-quilt for more information and images of completed blocks
- Face coverings While fabric masks are not to be used in the care of COVID-19 patients, according to the CDC, fabric masks are a crisis response option . Fabric masks can also be helpful in other areas of patient care.
- Click to Download: 4-H Cloth Face Coverings activity plan
Local Menus for Takeout and Delivery in Ozaukee County https://www.facebook.com/groups/137540617679795/?ref=share
Local food pantries need support:
Email your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org to post to the Innovation Zone page!