PLEASE NOTE: The Muzzleloading project is offered in conjunction with Washington County 4-H Program. Washington County 4-H Certified Shooting Sports Leaders will conduct the program. Ozaukee County youth in this project may participate fully with Washington County youth, but will exhibit at the Ozaukee County Fair.
What can you do in this project?
- Look back into the history of black powder firearms.
- Learn the different types of muzzleloading firearms and their parts.
- Learn about black powder. Grain size, pyrodex, etc.
- Learn to care for your muzzleloading firearm.
- Learn range safety and range rules.
- Learn the fundamentals of firing a shot: loading, aiming, firing, shooting positions.
Ages: 12 and older with Hunter Safety Certificate
Range Fee: $3.00 per class (estimate)
- Must supply your own muzzleloading firearm
- Supplies as needed: black powder, patch, balls, primer, etc. Cleaning equipment and cleaning supplies
Location, Dates, and Time:
Shooting time is from 6:00 – 8:00 pm at New Fane Sportsman Club, N829 Hwy. G, Campbellsport, WI 53010. Please contact the UW-Extension office should you need dates.
For more information, please contact:
Norb/Barb Yogerst at 262-677-2379 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shooting Sports Leader Certification
A statewide Shooting Sports Leader Certification workshop will be held to teach leaders how to conduct safe, supervised, shooting experiences for 4-H members enrolled in shooting sports projects and to complete required leader certification.
A Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Leader may be certified in archery, coordinator, muzzleloader, pistol, rifle and shotgun disciplines. Leaders may only teach in the discipline in which they are certified. An adult leader cannot provide hands-on or safety instruction without a certified leader supervising the range.
All leaders must first complete one 12-hour workshop to be certified. After that, you may be eligible to attend a Saturday, eight-hour range workshop to receive an additional discipline certification. If three years lapse before adding an additional certification, the full 12-hour certification must be repeated. Only one certification may be obtained at any one certification workshop.